Tuesday 18 March 2014

Evaluation: Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Convention is something that you expect to find within a film from a specific genre. 



Comparisons between my film and Kidulthood and Fishtank: Fishtank and Kidulthood are both teen movies and they are set in Britain, like mine. They are both also drama genres and but Fishtank has a female main character like my movie but on the other had Kidulthood had a male main character. Both these films still follow the same conventions for all teen movies, in relation to camera work, sound, editing and miss-en-scene, which is demonstrated in the comparisons below.



Distribution Company Idents: These come first in title sequences and this is conventional in teen movies: 
My film


Kidulthood


Fishtank
Production Company Identsmconventionally, comes next in title sequences

The title of the film come right before the movie starts, in my film and both Kidulthood and Fishtank:

My Film


Kidulthood


Fishtank

There is a shot that establishes the main character and show their costume (Mid/Long shots):

My Film


Kidulthood


Fishtank

There are shots that show muse-en-scene, and this establishes the setting, which London (Long/Wide shot):

My film: the red bus and buildings shows its London


Kidulthood
There are also shots that show that there are some themes like bullying/conflict with friends and family (Mid-close up shots):

My film (Conflict with family/Bullying)


Kidulthood (Conflict with social groups/Bullying)


Fishtank (Conflict with family/Bullying)
Shots that show an unhealthy and rebellious location. The miss-en-sence includes drink and drugs (Mid and Long shots):

My film


Kidulthood


Fishtank

The music used is also similar to the one in my film, it suggests and urban, British feeling and this is a convention of teen urban movies in London. I used Camtasia to cut and edit my film and Kidulthood, into small clips that show the urban music the clearest:

 
This is my film, showing the urban sound and below is Kidulthood, showing the same thing:



No comments:

Post a Comment